Thursday, September 21, 2006

A recollection

I quit my job last week and I am taking a week off in between jobs. Next week I am going to start working at a bank in Sydney.

My old workplace is quite different to the other two companies I have worked for. It is a smaller company so things could happen quite unexpectantly. My first day on the job for example - I arrived at 8.30am sharp at the reception area. I was hoping for someone to greet me there. Well, it didn't quite work out as planned. There wasn't anyone in the reception area! It was quite funny thinking about it, I actually thought that my watch must be broken and I arrived at the wrong time. I waited for a while and a white-haired lady came out, walked behind the reception counter. I told her this is my first day and I asked for my manager. He he he, but it's not a happy ending yet!

The receptionist told me she does not work for the company I am working at! What the!? I later found out that my company doesn't have a receptionist, she is working for the other company that shares floor with mine. Ah! Luckily, she was kind enough to try to look for someone in the company ... then she returned to break the news that there wasn't anyone in yet! Whoa!

At the same time though, two ladies walked out from the elevator. One of them was the support team leader, and the other one was a new starter as well. Yay! Finally, someone!

After disastrous first day, I was thrown to maintain a particular subsystem. I didn't quite enjoy the work I was thrown into. I wouldn't elaborate further, but in short, it was very bland. But despite this, I still say that it is quite a fun company to work for. It has quite a bit of perks if you like to drink alcohol. It is part of Australian culture really to have a bit of drink on Friday night. Unfortunately for me, my asian body couldn't handle it. Beleive it or not, one bottle - that's all it takes to get me half-drunk.

My colleagues were also a bunch of fun people to work with! To me, it is very important to work with people I enjoy being with. The great thing is most of us are of the same age, share similar backgrounds, so we really gel-ed, hang out together, and made practical jokes with each other almost every day. Lol. Ah! it makes me rather sad to leave all of them. But it is comforting to know that I made long-lasting friendship with my colleagues.

No comments: