Sunday, September 10, 2006

Crazy John

I always admire modesty, even more so in a person of great achievements. I have just read a magazine featuring John Ilhan. He is an Australian businessman, the founder of mobile phone dealer 'Crazy John'.

He came to Australia as an immigrant, started a store in Brunswick - a working class suburb in Melbourne with just $1,000 back in 1991. Today, 120-store network is his empire.

It is an achievement that one would easily admire. And I am even more 'wowed' by his comments in the article:


Ilhan says he has never lost sight of his roots. "I am embarassed about my wealth", he says. "I don't think people should be valued because of his wealth - it should be by what sort of person they are. I'd rather talk to Mother Teresa, if she was still alive, than Bill Gates. I have a black Lamborghini, but I don't bring it to work. People say, 'bring it to work'. But I say it is showing off. Some people haven't got a home worth the value of that car. I'm embarassed about that."


Ditto. I couldn't agree more. Often when a person reaches success, they probably will buy a nice car, then drive it to work, show it off to others even strangers, and couldn't care more of others who has helped to get there.

Ilhan's modesty is is impressive, and I certainly hope that I could grow into a person of his quality in the future.

No comments: